September 15, 2024

The importance of The News-Letter’s financial independence

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD | September 5, 2024

editorial-pq

The News-Letter is proud to be financially independent from the University — a tradition started by alumni of the paper that we have maintained for decades. This means that the paper does not receive funding from the University which enables us to serve as an unbiased and trusted organization when reporting on matters affecting the Hopkins community. As we begin the new school year, we want to provide readers with a greater understanding of our sources of funding and the importance of maintaining our independence.

Our financial independence is critical to the mission and legacy of the paper and allows us to report on the University without pressure, interference or bias.

The News-Letter has a history of using this freedom to provide unbiased and — at times — critical journalism. In the 1970s, editors were critical about then-President Lincoln Gordon and extensively covered his decisions over the University’s financial future. More recently, we have also covered protests by students, like the sit-in at Garland Hall, reported on the lack of an Africana Studies department and conducted an investigation into the University’s land holdings.

Our readers can trust that we will not refrain from critiquing the University when warranted, and that our journalism is not influenced by any factors other than the commitment to inform students. 

Today, our funding comes from advertisements, grants and donations: this includes advertisements in print and online, donation campaigns, and alumni grants. While we have received Dean of Student Life grants from the University in the past — such as in the 2021–2022 and 2023–2024 school years — we have chosen not to renew this funding source.

It is in our bylaws that we remain editorially independent without any obligation or deference to our donors. Our office since the fall of 1965 — the Gatehouse — is Hopkins property, but we have a long-standing agreement with the University that our use of the space is not in exchange for editorial control. Unlike virtually every other student organization on campus, the Student Government Association does not give us funding and that is to our unique benefit as the flagship student newspaper on campus. 

Not all student newspapers are financially independent. According to research by the University of Florida Brechner Freedom of Information Project, “More than half (56.1%) of student news outlets get funding from the university — either directly from the administration or allocated funds from a student activity fee budget.” 

Without independent student papers, there would be a lack of unbiased reporting, especially on campus-specific events that require it the most. When significant developments occur on campus, there should be student coverage to most accurately represent the student body and mediate differing views. When we provided live updates of the Palestine Solidarity Encampment last semester, we were able to obtain statements from protesters because we were trusted as a separate entity from the University. Accurate and comprehensive reporting, therefore, can exist only when a student paper is truly independent. 

The News-Letter is proud of our status as a financially independent newspaper. The freedoms it provides are vital to our integrity, and we are committed to upholding our independence for the sake of impartial and truthful reporting, always.